Friday, March 6, 2009

A Tool For You: The "Check-In"

One of the things I do every day without fail is a "Check In."  In truth, I do many, but think small at first so that you don't feel like you are taking on too much and end up creating resistance regarding this tool. 

A Check-In is a super simple way to begin to build your peace muscle -- and a few other things, like your intuition -- but let's just take it simple today and focus on the peace part.  The Check-In I do is simply a pause in the momentum of the moment.  I am choosing these words specifically to emphasize that it is not just a pause in the moment, but a pause in the momentum, so that perhaps you will take that deeper peek into that deeper level of yourself, even though it is a very brief exercise I am suggesting.  If we just pause for a moment, we are only looking at the surface; but if we stop the momentum and then look, we get a deeper read on things.  

When I do a Check-In, I am not just assessing what is happening around me at that moment.  My Check-Ins are about checking how I am feeling about what is happening at that moment, whether I want the momentum of the moment to continue on the energetic path it is on or whether it is desirable for me to pivot, if there is a desire within me to elevate the resonance of the moment and why I would like to do that (which sets and affirms personal intentions).

As I said, these Check-Ins are meant to be simple, brief, only taking about 3-5 seconds, so that they are a minimal change (and not a disruption) one can take to start manifesting change. Now think about this.  Ironically, we humans are designed to strive for something we do not have, yet we love to feel comfortable.  What a paradox!   We cannot get something different if we stay in our comfort zones.  So, making a bridge between these two desires goes a long way in accomplishing both goals.  This little Check-In is a bridge you can insert that your comfort zone will not balk at and your striving soul will also appreciate.  It is a tool that honors both of these seemingly contradictory aspects of your Self.

Try to do at least one Check-In each day for a week.  If you miss a day, start counting again until you get 7 consecutive days, but try not to reprimand or guilt yourself in any way if you do have to start again.  Think of this as a game.  When you reach 7 consecutive days, add a second Check-In, perhaps by doing one in the morning and one at night.  Do 2 per day for 30 days.  By Day 30, you will probably be doing more than 2 per day!  Keep me posted.

Look for more tools in future posts.

Peace,
CJ  

No comments:

Post a Comment